Thursday, June 21, 2012

Moving.

  So we confirmed today that we are definitely moving (within 30 days).  DIY-Dad just accepted a promotion which will take us to a completely different area (well, it's still in the west).  We've done a lot of moving in our  8-year marriage. We've lived in 8 different places and moved 13 times. This move is supposed to be for a few years at the least.


  I really like moving actually, when it's all done. I make new friends and acquaintances and I feel like we get to make a fresh start again.  I often reinvent myself and refocus on a new area of my life.
This last move has been really good for me. In Colorado I've felt a strong passion for physical fitness and healthy eating, although some influences came from my friends long distance via Facebook.  I've really focused on listening to my body, thinking about the kind of fuel I am using to meet my energy needs, and finding I have more energy to actually exercise.

  I feel great and I hope to keep this passion with me throughout my life.  I've even been thinking about taking some health related courses to renew my teaching certification because I would love to teach Health and Wellness if/when I have an opportunity/need/desire to teach again.

  Another thing I like about moving, probably because I'm a masochist, is that I take inventory and clean out a lot of my belongings.  It helps me re-evaluate my priorities and my, sometimes, unwarranted need to hang on to physical objects. I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder but I definitely could be, if I wasn't so aware of the fact that I have hoarding tendencies.

I never have to deep clean my residence... until we leave it. Generally I don't spring clean... although I did once in our first home that we bought and lived in two years before moving here, and then I did  quite a bit this spring (even though I knew we'd be moving soon) because we have to show the house.

  Okay, so yeah, moving can be fun... but what do I dislike about moving?

The stress of finding a new place to live. DIY-Dad is doing most of that right now and telling me over the phone while I look at listings online.  It's pretty stressful. We are trying not to increase our monthly expenses very much so we are able to save more of our income. We are definitely savers and generally not impulse buyers. We fret over big decisions for days on end.  So yeah, sometimes I think it would be nice to be more carefree with our money until you start paying all those bills.  Buying versus renting multiplies that stress by about 300%.

Speaking of which. Having to notify all of your bill collectors (utilities, phone, internet, banks, etc) of your Change of Address.  I'm starting a list now of all the imperative companies etc. to notify. Oy!

Packing, unpacking, and moving all the junk you decided you can't live without.  I do like going through my stuff and re-organizing and de-junking. But packing it all up and remembering where it's packed and getting to the things you need in a timely manner... very stressful. Especially now that we have kiddos that can't just 'do without' some things for a few days.  Moving with just my hubby was more of an adventure, now it's much more complex and involves children feeling neglected by a mommy who is pulling out her hair.... I think we may have movers help this time... That's a first for us. Which is good, since I haven't moved in over a year I'm a bit out of practice.

Worst of All: Leaving Friends and/or family and then there's Friendily or Famds, you know those friends that are basically family. The ones you'll still keep in touch with forever, but not as often as you wish, and you never get to see in person enough even when you live nearby.  I hope my Famds know who you are when you're reading this... because I will miss you.... okay kleenex, anyone.

Okay, I need to get away from this glowing rectangle that has been consuming a little too much of my time lately.

 Thanks for allowing me to vent my excitement, frustrations, and love.

DIY-Mom

PS- I've been doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff on my blog lately, For subscribers: I don't think you get updates on this stuff.  I added a new page called Recommendations. You should check it out. It's links to recipes and articles etc. that I love, even though I didn't create them myself. Kind of like Pinterest... I think... I don't need another online addiction, don't ask me to join Pinterest, atleast not at this point in my life.


2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I feel your pain! However, I feel we may have reached the hoarder stage, because we've only moved 3 times in our 8 years of marriage. (technically 4, but I don't think moving across the hall really counts). So we have A LOT of stuff. We're moving here soon again too, and I just tend to get overwhelmed by the thought. I try to be pro-active and start boxing stuff up, but never feel like it even helps. Oy!
    I also totally agree with you on the Pinterest thing. I refuse to join just due to the fact that I know I won't be able to control my already limited time once I do.
    Good luck moving!! I hope Montana works out to be a great place for you guys. It looks pretty! Post pictures when time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okey Dokey! Good luck with your move. I've been trying to post FB pictures lately but it hasn't been working. I'll have to try again. I've got 3 months worth of adventures I haven't shared yet.

      Delete

I love comments! Please share your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...